Emergency Mass Notification Service
Wouldn't you want to know immediately if an emergency situation was occurring in your area? Tragic events on college campuses across the country highlight the University's need for mass emergency communications. In the event of imminent danger, the University must be able to broadcast targeted messages quickly and reliably to faculty, staff, and students at one or all campuses.
To ensure emergency communication, the University of Missouri is introducing the Emergency Mass Notification Service (EMNS) to deliver alert messages to all campuses using multiple communication methods, including text message, email, and voice messages to cell and land-line phones.
Cell phone and text-message numbers must be entered into the system. Students, faculty, and staff are responsible for entering and updating their contact information whenever changes occur. Follow the instructions below to enter your contact information. Contact information is kept confidential and removed from the system when a person leaves the University.
Beginning this semester, the University will require students to either enter contact data into the Emergency Mass Notification System (EMNS) or opt out when they first log on to myZou. By entering emergency notification data, students can be sure to receive information on events that could affect their health and safety. It is important to note that the University will not use EMNS for non-emergency communications. Additionally, the University will add other emergency communications methods including an alternate email address and pagers.The University will implement the change before the start of the fall semester.
Benefits of EMNS
- Receive emergency notification no matter where you are.
- Used only for true emergencies (natural disaster; human or technological crisis).
- No charge for service. (Please note that your cell carrier may charge for text messages.)
- Update your contact information anytime, online.
- Contact information is kept secure and confidential.
- Never used for spam!
- Replying to a notification stops further message delivery attempts.
Students: Entering Your Contact Info
- Go to myZou. (This link will open in a new window or tab, so you can refer back to these instructions.)
- Log in with your PawPrint (username) and password.
- Click Self Service on the main page or in the left-hand menu.
- Click Campus Personal Information on the main page or in the left-hand menu.
- Click Phone Numbers.
- Add your contact information (cell phone and/or text messaging) and choose your preferred method of contact.
- Click Save.
Faculty/Staff: Entering Your Contact Info
- Go to myHR. (This link will open in a new window or tab, so you can refer back to these instructions.)
- Sign in using your PawPrint (User ID) and password.
- If you have not already opted in to EMNS: The first screen you see will allow you to add or edit your contact information. Click Opt In to enter your information into myHR.
- If you have previously opted in to EMNS: You may modify your information by clicking the Self Service link at the upper left of the myHR page.
- Click Personal Information, then UM Emergency Information to get to the EMNS form.
- Make changes, then click Opt-In to save your changes.
For more information about EMNS, visit the Emergency Mass Notification Service FAQ.